6th Annual DESIGN WEEK RI Begins!
The 6th annual DESIGN WEEK RI once again fills 10 days in September with highly curated events showcasing the talent, innovation, and economic impact of the design sector in Rhode Island. Starting this Thursday, September 12, and running through September 21, this annual event schedule of events includes more than 40 events in locations throughout the State.
DESIGN WEEK RI (DWRI) is a program instituted by DESIGNxRI, in partnership with a number of hosts, sponsors and partners. The packed schedule includes talks, tours, luncheons, workshops, parties, and more aiming to highlight the breadth of the design talent in the state. Events range from visual and brand identity, to landscape architecture and city planning, product design and user experience, to civic systems and design strategy. The full calendar is posted on DESIGNxRI’s website: www.designweekri.com. Some highlights from this year’s DWRI include:
• September 12 - Designer Cas Holman hosts a hands-on PLAYDATE! on the Lawn at Newport Art Museum with Rigamajig, a collaborative play design
• September 13 – DWRI’s Kickoff Day includes an ideation workshop with local design firm LOFT and sound innovation company Bose; Happy Hour with DBVW Architects celebrating 25 years; and Live Mural Illustrations through the evening with oysters, DJ, and Little Bitte cocktails.
• September 16 – Featured Speaker, Ben Guhin, Head of Design at Brown’s Policy Lab and SXSW Speaker will dive into “How we can design so no one is left behind”
• September 17 – Marathon Clambake brings four designers to this special DWRI installment of the design sector’s monthly speaker series, including Staples’ VP of Creative Gaemer Guttierez and reknowned couture designer Kate Brierly of Isoude, along with sound design specialist Tom Chiginsky and iconic landscape architect Tanya Kelley
• September 19 – Keynote Speaker, Amy Devers, conducts a live podcast of her show Clever with friends at RISD
In addition to the packed schedule of events, each year during DWRI, DESIGNxRI recognizes proven leaders in the Rhode Island design community for their contributions to the industry and celebrates their accomplishments by inducting them into the Rhode Island Design Hall of Fame. This year’s recipients will join 19 esteemed professionals who have received this honor since its inception in 2014.
The 2019 DESIGN WEEK RI event features nearly 100 partners, hosts and sponsors and over 40 events. Since inception, the event has had an average increase in audience attendance of 26.13% over the previous year.
A sampling of this year’s participating Event Hosts includes:
(add)ventures, LOFT / Bose, KITE Architects, Lotuff Leather, Linchpin, MojoTech, Orion HD, Brown University’s Policy Lab, Design for America, and DWRI Letterpress
Sponsors to date include:
IIDA New England, RISCA, City of Providence, (add)ventures, CCRI’s Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses, Signature Printing, Bradford Soap, DiLeonardo International, KITE Architects, and RISD
Many of the events during DWRI are free. Others cost $10 for the lunch series (lunch included). The Kick Off Party costs $15 and tickets to the RI Design Hall of Fame party are $85/$95 after Sept 15. All proceeds go to support the operational costs of hosting this annual showcase of design in Rhode Island.
For more information, contact Lexi Geschke at 401-457-0811, email@example.com. Visit
www.designweekri.com for details.
# # #
DESIGNxRI is a nonprofit economic development organization with a mission to create an opportunity driven environment for the RI design sector to thrive. We believe design is a critical economic sector that drives change globally, socially and locally. As the only nonprofit economic development organization for design in RI, we build value in the sector by investing in RI design talent, increasing strategic assets in the field, and connecting this talent to cross-sector prospects. Learn more at www.designxri.com.
All photos credited to DESIGNxRI
High resolution images are available here.
Marathon Clambake is part of the Featured Speaker series during DESIGN WEEK RI. Four designers speak to a packed crowd each year.
DESIGN WEEK RI Keynote Speaker is hosted by RISD each year, and includes a discussion after the talk with Rosanne Somerson, president of RISD.
A guest admires a piece by Miles Endo at Elmwood Studios opening at last year’s DESIGN WEEK RI.
Aidan Petrie of NEMIC discusses strategy during DESIGN WEEK RI 2018.
Ted Peffer of IOLabs shares how his company has worked with design and creative businesses to execute their vision.